Before You Begin & About Porting
The term 'porting', as we use it in this article, means the process of pulling your fax number from its current carrier and making it part of your Updox account. There are benefits to porting your fax number to your Updox account, though there are also points to be aware of before beginning the process.
The six main points to keep in mind when considering the porting/transferring option are:
- After being initiated, the transfer process takes 14 days to complete.
- If the initial request is declined by the losing carrier, there is a charge of $13.00 to resubmit the request to port. This amount must be paid each time a resubmission is required per fax number. Example: If you request to port two numbers to Updox and each requires one resubmission the cost would be $26.00 or $13.00x2.
- After the transfer is completed, the carrier who previously provided you service on that number will no longer charge you for that line. There is no additional charge from us to port your number or use a ported number with your Updox account.
- After the transfer is completed, that number becomes part of your Updox account at no additional charge to you.
- After the transfer is completed, the physical fax machine in the office that was previously used to send and receive faxes on that line will no longer work to receive OR send faxes.
- After the transfer is completed, any devices (i.e. Internet service or credit card reader) in the office that share service on that phone line will no longer work. You can check with your current service provider to determine if that will be an issue in your case.
To Begin the Porting Process
If you are interested in continuing with the porting of your fax number after consideration of the above points please email email@example.com with the below information.
NOTE: PLEASE COLLECT THIS INFORMATION FROM THE CURRENT CARRIER FOR YOUR FAX NUMBER. If any of this information does not match what the current carrier for the number has on file they may decline the initial request to port the number. If the initial request is declined by the losing carrier, there is a charge of $13.00 to resubmit the request to port. This amount must be paid each time a resubmission is required per fax number. Example: If you request to port two numbers to Updox and each requires one resubmission the cost would be $26.00 or $13.00x2.
Number to Port:
Exact Name/Address (Used for billing on that account):
Account #: (The account number with the current carrier for the number you wish to port.)
Billing Phone #: (The contact phone number the current carrier has on file for your account.)
In addition to those answers we need two other items.
1) A copy of the most recent bill for service on that line
2) A completed copy of our letter of authorization (LOA).
If you are interested in porting your number just fill out our LOA found here, sign it, and return it as an attachment along with the copy of your bill and other info when you email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
After we receive the request to port your number we will run a preliminary check on the number and will begin the porting process based on results. We will communicate by email to provide status updates or collect other information as needed.